Life is so much easier when I can do a bunch of cooking at once and not need to go through the process every day. Not to mention, having some stuff on-hand for snacks. Real food, homemade snacks, not crap packed into snack-like shapes and not the overpriced store-bought stuff. I also like to have homemade ingredients in the house that only take a few minutes of hands-on time, but can take days to do their thing before they’re ready to use. So, here’s the list of what I’m making this weekend.
If any of this stuff interests you, keep checking back on this post. I’ll be adding more links to recipes and instructions, but I didn’t want to wait for all that to post this.
• Simple Skillet Steak – top sirloin from my local meat market, seasoned with my Homemade Seasoning Blend
• Beef and Bean Burritos using my standard Taco Meat recipe
• Homemade Sour Cream
• Homemade Ranch Dressing (make ahead Ranch Dressing Mix)
• Slow Beef Pot Roast
• Whole Cut Up Chicken
• Scrambled Egg Sandwich on Jalapeno Cheddar Bread
• Deviled Eggs
• Homemade Buttermilk (here’s more on homemade cultured buttermilk from Foodie with Family, a blog I just discovered and love! Lots of good recipes here.)
• Purple Sauerkraut Experiment
• Sourdough Starter
• Roasted Garlic Hummus (here’s another hummus recipe)
• Bean Dip or Nachos – from the leftover refried beans
It’s farmers market season, and that always inspires me! The hot weather tends to discourage me from cooking, but we’ve been blessed with some cloudy weather, and even rain! That gets me going on cooking and food-making. The stuff I’m making this weekend will keep us going all week and some of it, like the buttermilk and sourdough starter, will yield benefits forever if I manage to keep it going.